Anyone who’s read any of the books in the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy probably has a pretty good idea of what Christian Grey would be like if he were a real person—for a lot of fans, that wasn’t Sons of Anarchy star Charlie Hunnam. The 33-year-old actor was originally cast as the iconic Mr. Grey for the film adaptation of Fifty Shades of Grey, sparking outrage and online petitions because fans felt that he didn’t really personify the character. Hunnam dropped out of the Fifty Shades of Grey movie shortly after being cast and was replaced with 31-year-old Irish actor Jamie Dornan.
But even though Christian Grey is only in his late twenties in the book, we still think the role would be better suited to a handsome, mature, and sophisticated older man. So, here are our top five picks for older celebrities who would have been a perfect fit for Christian Grey in the Fifty Shades of Grey movie:
• Leonardo DiCaprio: We already know the 38-year-old actor can pull off playing the charming heartthrob (think Titanic or Romeo + Juliet), but DiCaprio can also pull off the darker, harder-edge characters, like in Inception and Django Unchained. Director Oliver Stone even said that DiCaprio would have been his first pick for the coveted role.
• Daniel Craig: Forty-five-year-old Craig looks pretty much like how the female character in the Fifty Shades of Grey book, Anastasia Steele, describes Christian Grey: “He is not merely good looking—he is the epitome of male beauty, breathtaking.” Craig’s “smoldering” eyes are also a perfect match. And thanks to his James Bond gig, we know he looks incredible in a tailored suit.
• Jamie Foxx: This 45-year-old actor just seems like a take-charge kind of guy. Plus, power looks good on him. He’s played everything from a domineering music exec (Dreamgirls) to the President of the United States (White House Down).
• Jonathan Rhys Meyers: With those piercing blue eyes, it’s hard not to be drawn to this 36-year-old actor. His rendition of King Henry VIII in the television series The Tudors was the perfect blend of powerful and authoritative, while charming and captivating—all of the personality traits needed to play Christian Grey in the Fifty Shades of Grey movie.
• Matthew Fox: There’s just something undeniably sexy about this 47-year-old Lost actor. The role of Christian Grey in the Fifty Shades of Grey movie needs to be taken on by someone who can play a polished businessman, but also a dominating lover. And even though Fox is relatively new to films, at least compared to the other actors on our list, we think he’s got what it takes to really bring the character to life.
What do you think: Which other actors would you have liked to see playing Christian Grey in the Fifty Shades of Grey movie?
Nessif, B., “10 Reasons Why Jamie Dornan Is the Perfect Christian Grey—Take a Look!” E! News web site, October 25, 2013; http://goo.gl/970Pf2.